Friday, May 2, 2008

2 Weeks Old

Coley is 2 weeks old today and what a week we've had. As I'm sure most have heard, we had to take Coley to the ER last Saturday afternoon when she quit breathing after a feed. I was holding her when I looked down and saw that she was quite blue. I handed her over to David and he too thought she was not the right color. I quickly called 911 and they were able to help us get her airway open and sustain her breathing until the fire department showed up. They gave Coley oxygen and this brought her back to the right color. Once the paramedics arrived, we decided to take her to Cook Children's Hospital in Ft Worth even though she was stable at this point. I went with Coley in the ambulance and David followed behind us. Coley had 2 other apnea spells, once in the ambulance and once again in the ER triage room. Luckily once we were in the ER, David was able to get a nurse and she too saw exactly what was happening and they were able to treat Coley as necessary. They sedated her, inserted a breathing tube and this started the process of many, many tests, 3 days in the Pediatrics ICU and 2 days on the floor. Although the doctors cannot say that her apnea spells were directly linked, they did diagnosis her with reflux of the stomach, which is treatable with medication. This will also get better as she gets older and can have more control of her head, abdomen and just gets stronger in general. In doing an ultrasound of her stomach, they also determined that she has some minor issues with both kidneys. The doctors didn't feel it necessary to treat her at this time, but we will have a follow up appointment and ultrasound in 3 months where we will hopefully see the reflux has lessened with age. As for the apnea spells, she has not had any further incidents since last Saturday. We were sent home with a monitor that she wears when she sleeps and when we can't closely monitor her (in the car, when I have to leave her in her swing to take care of Mylie, etc). Luckily, my mom and David's mom are both here and helped with Mylie when were at the hospital last week. This scared everyone so we'll be having family coming in and out of town for the next few weeks so David can go to work and travel as necessary with is job and not worry that I'm overwhelmed with Mylie and "complications" Coley (ha).

My friend Lindsay encouraged me to take pictures of Coley in the hospital because this is apart of her life. So, here are some pictures of Coley after the breathing tubes were removed and she was completely off all sedatives. We anticipate only FUN pictures going forward...

The prayers, emails, calls, texts...we are so overwhelmed and grateful of your love and support. Thank you for loving our family.


13 comments:

Hollie Reese said...

Our prayers have been with you this past week! We are so thankful that the news was something that could be easily treated! We will keep Coley in our prayers!

Sally said...

I'm so glad you are back home and have a monitor to ease your mind! It is great that you have family to help out too. That is a great picture of you two in the hospital! Hope week 3 is a great one!

The Houston's said...

Even with those monitors she's precious!! We love ya'll!!!!

Felicia said...

I'm so glad you are home! I hope you have a relaxing weekend and catch up on some much need rest I'm sure. Camille's calling Mylie's name to come play! Send her our way ANYTIME!

Angela said...

Even when your sweet baby was sick, she still managed to look so cute. You look great, Whitney, and I'm thankful y'all are back home.

Anonymous said...

You will always have this amazing story to tell Coley. So glad you all are back home. Maybe things will stay calm for awhile.

allyo said...

God is good! I am so thankful that Coley was diagnosed with something easily fixed. Our thoughts and prayers are still with you and the family. Camden would love a new friend and have Miley over to play. Please feel free to call anytime (I think David has Jay's # if not call Heidi) and let us know if we can help in anyway

Pearson Family said...

So glad you are home!

Tiger and DeAndria said...

We have been praying for you guys over the past week. I am so glad that you are finally home, and that she is doing better.

The Leesers said...

We are so glad Coley is home - we'll continue praying that the apena goes away, the reflux gets better, and that her kidney works out its "issues" :) We love and miss you guys, and can't wait to meet Miss Coley in person.

amerriman said...

We are still praying for your family. I have very glad you are home. We can't wait to meet Coley! Let me know if you need help with Mylie!

Amber said...

So glad to hear that you're home and things are settling back down. You've been in our thoughts and prayers and will continue to be.

Amy Fletcher said...

Hey Whitney, I was scrolling through your older posts and came across this one (sorry, I don't keep up as well as I'd like.) I'm so glad to see that Coley is doing better. I know how scary it is to have a newbie go back to the hospital. My nephew was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at 5 weeks and it can be such a shock to your system. Your girls are beautiful, just like their momma! Love, Amy (Berger) Fletcher